Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Monday, April 18, 2011

The best present at the party: rethinking the way we give gifts

Think about your most favorite gift EVER. Okay maybe it's your kindle, Ipad, or something else expensive that revolutionized your life...so think about your next favorite gift.

I wrote an earlier post about using what we have, but I want to expand a little specifically about gifts. When did giving used gifts become a bad thing? Why do we feel the need to run out to the store and buy something to give someone that has never been used, buy a really expensive bag to put it in, and all the while we have years worth of brilliant gifts just sitting at our house collecting dust?

My challenge: next time you give a gift...find something you can give someone that you already own. It doesn't have to have the same effect as you pulling the lint from your pocket at the last minute, smiling sheepishly and saying "sorry..this is all I got". Somewhere along the way,(it has probably always been like this to an extent) people decided that giving gifts was a competition.

Now I'm gonna be real honest and tell you that I can be the worst of them. I love giving presents, and I really do believe that half the fun of doing it is over doing it. I love to go all out, and love watching the reactions on people's faces when they open my gifts.

But the best present at the party doesn't have to be the one that is the most expensive or the one that sparkles the brightest.

One of my favorite stores in the world is a store called Anthropologie. They make a FORTUNE by making old things look cool. All their store decorations are really natural looking things, and they put them together in a way that looks like art. They have vintage aprons, household items, and old-fashioned bars of soap that just look super cool. Urban outfitters does something similar with their store. Old doesn't have to mean dingy, and used doesn't have to mean castoff. Giving used gifts is what we make of it.

I don't know about you, but I would so rather have a loved book that has underlines and notes in it than just one that is totally new and flawless. I love the history behind things, to see that they have had life breathed into them, that they have already started on a journey somewhere and now have been passed down to me so that I may continue the story. Don't get me wrong, I love my kindle, but if you, like me, can't always get a kindle for someone, give them something from the heart. Something you spend some time thinking about. Give something that has a part of you with it, and make sure that persons knows the history behind it.

The best gift at the party is not always the one that gets picked up first, or has the flashiest packaging. I am willing to bet that some of the best gifts are the ones that stick around long after that gift of the moment becomes old news and has been donated or thrown in the trash. It's not the best because it is really cool looking, but because it was really meaningful to someone else, and they cared about you enough to give it to you. My Aunt Faye just sent my husband and I a homemade anniversary card. Let me tell you, that woman has mad skills when it comes to card making. We just stood there in awe and stared at the card. You can just see the love pouring off of it with the detail and care that went into making it. You better believe I will be keeping that card forever.

I am specifically speaking to people who often feel like they can't compete for 'best present'. First, it is not, or if it is, should not, be a competition. If we think of it that way, we have missed the point of gift giving all-together. We are giving a gift because we care about that person, and we want to show them we care. Not because we want to impress the other people at the party by our spectacular gift-giving skills. Not all people appreciate thoughtfully humble gifts though, so make sure that you know the person well enough so something that means a great deal to you will also mean a great deal to them. You can also be the kind of person who appreciates those kinds of gifts and makes a point to encourage people who give them.

This is not a solution for every party, present, or situation, but in times when want to do something different than all those other years, or find yourself spending tons of money and wondering why you did...you might give this a try. You may be surprised by the results. :)

VERY Important note: As much as I am for giving gifts that are meaningful, I am also for giving gifts that are USEFUL. I know that some people like to collect things, but unless you know for a fact that someone does that, please give them something you know they will actually have a use for. You can only put on display so many trinkets before the gift you take out of a dusty box in your closet will end up in a dusty box in theirs. If you give them something meaningful AND useful, they will use it all the time AND think of you when they do.

Rule of Thumb: Don't buy or give a gift you wouldn't buy for yourself (your kids. etc.)


Tip on packaging: The same can go for packaging a gift. You can easily spend $7-$10 on packaging alone. Going for something more natural (which is actually very much in style as I talked about previously, can serve as an extra special touch and without costing an arm and a leg. Here's how to do it:

Supplies:



Roll of brown packaging paper (looks exactly like wrapping paper rolls, but the material of brown paper sacks. DONT buy this from a craft store...it's a rip off. You can often buy a large roll that will last forever for $1 at Dollar Tree or another dollar store.

Roll of twine, rafia, or something like it (also sold at dollar stores)

Small real flower, plant sprig, etc. with stem (I happen to have fresh roses in my backyard, but anything from your yard will do (stick with leaves, evergreen sprig, etc. It doesn't need to be fancy)

Wrap your gift in the brown paper, put the twine on it like you would ribbon, and add the flower or plant sprig and cut stem to fit. cut a little extra piece of brown paper for your tag, punch a hole in it and string in on the twine. TADA! Just as impressive as Papyrus but the difference is the price and the fact that YOU made it!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...